The Executive Challenge
Are leaders born or made? While research suggests that innate ability can be helpful, the most effective leaders are forged through the fires of experience.
The Executive Challenge is a one of a kind, fast-paced, multi-round simulation where 16 teams face off in an immersive leadership development experience. Student participants have the unique opportunity to place themselves in the shoes of a c-level executive, solve complex real-world business problems and test their leadership in front of experienced leaders who act as a board of directors.
It was a rigorous field test of our team's business acumen and leadership.
— Michael White, 2020 Participant
- Teams are comprised of 4 individuals
- The competition has two rounds
- Every team competes in the first round, and the top four teams move-on to the second/final round
- The final round will take place immediately after the first round
- Finalist teams will receive a twist in the case and have 55 minutes to prepare a new presentation for the final round
- Teams receive the case one week before competition day
- Teams prepare a 10 minute oral presentation (no slides or handouts) based on given questions
- Presentations are delivered to their company's board of directors (executive judge panel)
- Following their presentations, teams will receive developmental feedback and questions
- A scoring rubric will be sent to teams along with the case one week before the event
- Prize money is awarded to the top three finishers:
- 1st place team - $2000
- 2nd place team - $1000
- 3rd place team - $400
Fall 2021 Applications
Opens: Thursday, October 7, 2021
Closes: Thursday, October 21, 2021
Event Date & Time
Round 1: Thursday, October 28, 2021 beginning at 4PM
Final Round: Thursday, October 28, 2021 beginning at 7PM
Full Event Schedule
International Executive Challenge
The winners of the Executive Challenge are invited to participate in the International Executive Challenge. The International Executive Challenge is a virtual version of the Executive Challenge that will include teams from universities around the world.
2020 Executive Challenge
On October 13 & 15, 2020 the Stephen R. Covey Leadership Center hosted the second annual Executive Challenge. Teams assumed the roles of the executive team for Oxford University Hospitals battling the COVID-19 pandemic.
Judges included executives from Malouf, Leader.org, Conservice, EP Systems, Inovar-inc, AlignOrg, Juniper Systems, Savage Services, the Protein Foundry, USU Credit Union, professors from Utah State Univesrity, and an orthopedic surgeon from Intermountain Health.