The Executive Challenge
Are leaders born or made? While research suggests that innate ability can be helpful, the most effective leaders are forged through the fires of experience.
The Executive Challenge is a one of a kind, fast-paced, multi-round simulation where 16 teams face off in an immersive leadership development experience. Student participants have the unique opportunity to place themselves in the shoes of a c-level executive, solve complex real-world business problems and test their leadership in front of experienced leaders who act as a board of directors.
- This is a virtual event
- Teams are comprised of 4 individuals
- The competition has two rounds
- Every team competes in the first round, and the top four teams move-on to the second/final round
- Teams receive the case one week before competition day
- In the first round, teams deliver a presentation to their company's board of directors (executive judge panel) highlighting their companies challenges and proposing innovative solutions
- In the second/final round, each team will receive another question and have two days to prepare a new presentation
- Student teams will receive developmental feedback from executives after their presentations
- Prize money is awarded to the top three finishers
- 1st place team - $2000
- 2nd place team - $1000
- 3rd place team - $400
Complete an interest form to receive a notification when the registration portal for the 2021 Executive Challenge goes live.Learn More
Fall 2021 Applications
- Open: TBA
- Close: TBA
Event Date & Time
- Round 1: TBA
- Final Round: TBA
International Executive Challenge
The winners of the Executive Challenge are invited to participate in the International Executive Challenge. The International Executive Challenge is a virtual version of the Executive Challenge that will include teams from universities around the world.
“It was a rigorous field test of our team's business acumen and leadership.”
2020 Executive Challenge
On October 13 & 15, 2020 the Stephen R. Covey Leadership Center hosted the second annual Executive Challenge. Teams assumed the roles of the executive team for Oxford University Hospitals battling the COVID-19 pandemic.
Judges included executives from Malouf, Leader.org, Conservice, EP Systems, Inovar-inc, AlignOrg, Juniper Systems, Savage Services, the Protein Foundry, USU Credit Union, professors from Utah State Univesrity, and an orthopedic surgeon from Intermountain Health.
1st Place Team