Successful networking requires you to be friendly and social. Try to get to know everyone you meet. You don't have to wait for a specific "Networking Event" to network. Fellow students, professors, staff, etc. are all great people to start making connections with. Take the opportunity to meet employers and professionals at Focused Friday events.
- Be friendly and social
- Meet new people
- Talk about your career goals with others
- Take advantage of opportunities provided to you
- It is never too early to start networking
Starting a conversation to get to know someone or breaking an awkward silence can be very stressful. To start a conversation when you have nothing to talk about, use these guidelines.
Schedule a Mock Interview
Career Development Specialist (HSB)
Email and LinkedIn Messages
Reaching out to recruiters, employers, and other professionals through email and LinkedIn is becoming the norm, so it is crucial that you learn appropriate etiquette for doing so. Review the samples below for ways to put your best foot forward in all your employer interactions.
- Resume Submission Email
- Career Fair Follow-up Email
- 'Cold' LinkedIn Request After Conference/Event
- Follow-up With 'Hard-to-Catch' Recruiter