Huntsman Ph.D. Preparation Association
To identify and prepare students to excel in Ph.D. programs in their chosen disciplines and represent the Huntsman School of Business.
The Huntsman Ph.D. Preparation Association (HPPA) provides students at the Jon M. Huntsman School of Business the knowledge, skills, and experience needed to be successful in doctoral programs.
As a member of the HPPA, students dive into the various aspects of academic research, including building theory, research methods, data collection and analysis, writing, and the review process. This foundation will provide future Ph.D. candidates a competitive edge and a heightened understanding of academic business research. Students will also receive mentoring to successfully navigate the admissions process.
- Bi-monthly meetings to discuss seminal research topics and hear about the experiences of faculty experts from all business disciplines.
- Provide students detailed coaching and feedback on admissions materials and interviews.
- Brown-bag series as needs arise for faculty members and students to present research and receive feedback.
- Ph.D. program admissions and logistics
- Philosophy of science
- Research questions
- Research methods
- Theoretical versus empirical work
- Literature reviews
- Data collection
- Data analysis
- Effective writing
- Review process
- Promoting research