Teaching Problem Solving Skills
This website explains the value of teaching, and having students practice, problem solving skills. It includes a basic description of what problem solving is. Problem solving steps are identified and a variety of possible ways to implement these skills into any classroom are provided. A wide variety of quotes about problem solving are also available throughout the article.
- Problem solving is one of the most important skills learned during college
- Problem solving is a goal oriented process with clear steps
- Those steps are not always linear
- Transparency in assignments can have an impact on students perceived freedom to practice problem solving
- Professors can help encourage problem solving through strategic groupings that allow students to experience different perspectives
- Allowing for reflection in the problem solving process can cultivate greater learning