Learn. Teach. Lead. It's a Two-way Street.
This address from the 2017 Empowering Teaching Excellence Conference focuses on innovative strategies to motivate and engage students. Denise Stewardson offers 7 "Unifying Principles" that will improve your teaching.
Unifying Principles to effectively conduct your classes and engage learners:
- Create a Natural Critical Learning Environment.
- Use various strategies such as lecture, role play, case studies, etc.
- Get Their Attention and Keep It
- Start classes with an engaging activity, news story, bit of information, or other application of course material to grab attention
- Start with the Students Rather Than the Discipline
- Learn student's names, get to know them, address their interests and questions,
- Seek Commitments
- Get students to commit to coming to class everday and to being prepared
- Help Students Learn Outside of Class
- Assign homework, readings, documentaries, etc. that will encourage learning outside of the classroom.
- Engage Students in Disciplinary Thinking
- Get students thinking about the big picture of your discipline. Help them to see the value in their every day life.
- Create Diverse Learning Experiences
- Use different methods of teaching and active learning in class to help students learn in different ways.