How to escape education's death valley
Original Content Publication Date: 05/10/2013
In this Ted Talk, Sir Ken Robinson outlines 3 principles crucial for the human mind to flourish and how current education culture works against them. In a funny, stirring talk he tells us how to get out of the educational "death valley" we now face, and how to nurture our youngest generations with a climate of possibility. He discusses how other countries are beginning to engage their students and what their teachers do differently.
- Human beings are inherently different from one another
- Children are natural learners
- Curiosity is the engine of education
- Teaching is a creative profession, not a delivery system
- Great teachers should mentor, prevoke, stimulate, and engage their students
- Teachers should focus on the facilitation of learning not testing
Discussion Questions1. What is the difference between "learning" and "education"?
2. How can teachers awaken and develop a students powers of creativity?