How to escape education's death valley
In this Ted Talk, Sir Ken Robinson outlines 3 principles crucial for the human mind to flourish and how current education culture works against them. In a funny, stirring talk he tells us how to get out of the educational "death valley" we now face, and how to nurture our youngest generations with a climate of possibility. He discusses how other countries are beginning to engage their students and what their teachers do differently.
- Human beings are inherently different from one another
- Children are natural learners
- Curiosity is the engine of education
- Teaching is a creative profession, not a delivery system
- Great teachers should mentor, prevoke, stimulate, and engage their students
Teachers should focus on the facilitation of learning not testingDiscussion Questions1. What is the difference between "learning" and "education"?
2. How can teachers awaken and develop a students powers of creativity?