Doing Business in France
Original Content Publication Date: 06/05/2014
This video starts with a segment from CNN Business that discusses how to do business in France, including interviews with experienced business people that have worked in France. The video concludes by showing a variety of general informational items, such as work/life balance, perceptions of corruption, and level of punctuality about France.
- The French have a strong national culture and appreciate an effort to speak French
- Detailed justification is important when presenting potential solutions
- It is important to develop relationships before jumping into business
- Be willing to hear frank feedback
Before watching the video, have the students imagine that they are working on a business deal with a new potential client in France. They will soon travel to Paris to present the company's recommendations to the client. Write a short plan of how to prepare for the client and presentation.
After they have completed their plan, watch the video, and discuss the following:
- How does the information about culture change your approach?
- What specific things would you do differently in your presentation?
- What issues might you anticipate happening and how would you prepare for them?
- What other cultural factors would you like to know before you travel to Paris?