$100 Startup Challenge
The $100 Startup Competition is an opportunity for students to experience entrepreneurship through a three-week competition to build, grow, and validate a business opportunity starting with one hundred dollars.
Students apply through a simple survey answering questions about their team and business idea. 20 Teams will then be selected to participate. These teams will be given $100 VISA gift cards and 3 weeks to build a business that generates revenue. Teams are evaluated on team unity, networks/resources used, impact/customers reached, and sales.
The Center for Entrepreneurship hosts this competition to give a hands on approach to experience entrepreneurship and gain valuable insight. It is our hope students will stretch their current abilities, resources, knowledge, and connections to build a business model. We will then invest significantly in helping these students take their business model to the next level. What will you build with $100?
1st Place: $1,500
2nd Place: $1,000
3rd Place: $500
March 3, 2018: $100 Startup Application Due by 11:59 p.m.
March 13, 2018: Top 20 teams Announced at Eclub
March 17, 2018: Competition Checkpoint #1
March 20, 2018: Peer Mentoring
March 24, 2018: Competition Checkpoint #2
March 27, 2018: Peer Mentoring
March 31, 2018: Competition Checkpoint #3
April 2, 2018: Marketplace on the Quad Entrepreneurship Week Event
April 2, 2018: Final Surveys Due by 11:59 p.m.
April 3, 2018: Announcement of Top 10
April 5, 2018: Top 10 Final Pitches and Awards Banquet
- Teams can be any size but only 4 spots will be available for the banquet.
- All have to be current USU students enrolled in 9 or more credits.
- No two teams can combine their $100 VISA cards.
- The business must have generated less than $7,500 in total sales.
- The competition finish is at the Marketplace on the Quad on April 2nd. The business must be able to sell its product at that event.
- Money may be spent as the entrepreneurs deem necessary to grow and establish their business opportunity.
- Money must be used toward the competition only – violators will be disqualified.
- If disqualified, the full $100 must be returned.
- Teams must track and turn in ALL receipts.
- Teams can spend personal money, but the $100 VISA gift card must be spent first.
- Teams must be present during the Utah State Entrepreneurship Week events the first week of May, including the Marketplace on the Quad from 10am to 2pm on April 2nd, 2018 and the judges’ presentation and banquet on April 5th, 2018.
- At least one team member, must attend orientation on March 13th, 2018 at 6pm in Huntsman Hall 320.
- Students' teams must complete weekly checkpoint check-ins each Saturday by 11:59pm local time.
- If you plan on selling food, at least one team member must have a food handler's permit and that member must be present during the Marketplace on the Quad Entrepreneurship Week event.