Contact InformationEccles Business Building 318B
J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School, Nashville, TN, 2000
Masters of Theological Studies, Vanderbilt University Divinity School, Nashville, TN, 2000
B.A., Howard Payne University, Brownwood, TX, 1996
John Ferguson is a graduate of Vanderbilt University’s Law and Divinity schools, where he earned his Juris Doctor and Master of Theological Studies degrees. He has been a member of the Tennessee, Washington, D.C., and Supreme Court bars. After graduation, Ferguson spent the next decade on the front lines of the culture wars as the First Amendment Education Coordinator and Attorney for the First Amendment Center in Nashville, TN. In that time he worked in thirty-five states, providing training and guidance to school districts and community groups on First Amendment issues of concern.
Prior to coming to Utah State he served as Associate Professor at Howard Payne University and as a lecturer/pre-law coordinator at Baylor University. Ferguson has also worked for U.S. Senator Fred Thompson and various law firms. He has served as associate editor on the newest revisions of Finding Common Ground: A First Amendment Guide to Religion in Public Schools and as Faculty Editor of the Texas Journal of Free Enterprise and Public Policy. He has authored five books, several book chapters, and numerous scholarly articles.
- Hudson, D.L, Ferguson, J., (2002). The Courts' Inconsistent Treatment of Bethel v. Fraser and the Curtailment of Student Rights: John Marshall Law Review. John Marshall Law School, 36:1, 181-209.
- Thomas, O., Ferguson, J., (2001). Religion in the Public Schools: What Does the Law Say?: Social Studies Review: Journal of the California Council for the Social Studies. California Council for the Social Studies
- Ferguson, J., (2020). Business Law and Ethics. MyEducator *
- Ferguson, J., Peterson, S., (2016). Proscholium: Foundations of Business Leadership. MyEducator *
- Ferguson, J., (2011). Gun Control. Chelsea House Publishing *
- Ferguson, J., (2007). Finding Common Ground: A First Amendment Guide to Religion and Public Education. First Amendment Center *
- Ferguson, J., (2007). The Right to Die. Chelsea House Publishing *
- Haynes, C.C, Chaltain, S., Ferguson, J., Hudson, D.L, Thomas, O., (2003). The First Amendment in Schools. Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development *
- Ferguson, J., (2004). Public Funds for Religious Schools: The Next Prayer Debate: Religion and Democracy: Free Exercise and Diverse Visions. Kent State University Press
- Ferguson, J., Hudson, D.L, (2003). Freedom to Speak: Teacher's Religious Expression Rights: Liberty. North American Division of Seventh Day Adventist Church *
- Ferguson, J., Hudson, D.L, (2002). Thou Shalt Not: Public Display of the Ten Commandments?: Liberty. North American Division of Seventh Day Adventist Church *
- Ferguson, J., (2001). History of Religion in Public Schools: Who Decides: Liberty. North American Division of Seventh Day Adventist Church *
An asterisk (*) at the end of a publication indicates that it has not been peer-reviewed.