Assistant Professor and Associate Director of the Covey Leadership CenterDepartment(s):
- Marketing and Strategy
- Stephen R. Covey Leadership Center
Ph. D. University of Virginia, Darden School of Business, Business Administration, Leadership and Organizational Behavior, 2013
M.B.A., Brigham Young University. 2004
B.A. International Studies; Global Economy Emphasis. 2000
Eldon J. Gardner Teacher of the Year - 2021
Bret Crane is an Assistant Professor of Leadership at the Jon. M. Huntsman School of Business and the Associate Director of the Stephen R. Covey Leadership Center at Utah State University.
Bret’s research focuses on leadership mindsets. As a respected authority and researcher on topics related to leadership, management, and organizational behavior, Bret has published over 8 articles across a variety of journals including Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of World Business, Business & Society, and Human Resource Development Review.
Bret has a Ph.D. in Business Administration from the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia and an MBA and a BA from Brigham Young University. Before joining the faculty at the Huntsman School of Business, he was a Visiting Professor at the George Washington School of Business in Washington DC.
He works with organizations to improve their leadership, teams, organizations, and culture. Bret has also consulted for clients including American Express, Honda, Lowe’s, General Mills, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Biogen, USAA, and others.
Leadership in the Classroom (Huntsman Alumni Magazine - Fall 2016)
- Crane, B., Hartwell, C., (2019). Global Talent Management: a Life Cycle View of the Interaction between Human and Social Capital. . Journal of World Business, 54, 82-92. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwb.2018.11.002
- Crane, B., (2017). To Disclose or Not to Disclose: The Ironic Effect of Disclosure of Personal Information about Ethnically Distinct Newcomers to a Team.. Journal of Business Ethics
- Crane, B., Albrecht, C., (2018). China’s Special Economic Zones: An Analysis of Policy to Reduce Regional Disparities.. Regional Studies, Regional Science, doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/21681376.2018.1430612
- Crane, B., (2018). Revisiting Who and What Matters: Stakeholder Connectedness and Trust.. Business & Society, doi: https://doi.org/10.1177/0007650318756983
- Crane, B., Albrecht, C., (2017). Niger and UNICEF: A Partnership to End Child Marriage. Journal of International Business Education
- Crane, B., (2017). The role of teacher openness and prosocial motivation: creating an environment where questions lead to engaged students.
- Crane, B., (2014). Human Capital. . *
- Crane, B., (2013). Crisis Management in the Information Age. *
An asterisk (*) at the end of a publication indicates that it has not been peer-reviewed.