Huntsman School History
During the Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln signed the Morrill Land-Grant Colleges Act, providing funding for the establishment of a new college in each state and territory. These schools were to promote higher education and practical learning to people of all classes and walks of life, especially rural life. In 1888, the Agricultural College of Utah was founded as the state's land-grant institution. It became Utah State University in 1957. View Utah State University's history.
USU is founded as the Agricultural College of Utah (UAC) on March 8. Two years later, 14-year-old Miss Vendla Berntson enrolls as the Agricultural College of Utah's first student.
Agricultural College of Utah established its commercial department, making it the first business degree west of the Mississippi River.
The first eight students receive business degrees.
The business school becomes known as the School of Commerce and Business Administration.
Utah State Agricultural College becomes Utah State University. The School of Commerce and Business Administration becomes the College of Business and Social Sciences.
The George S. Eccles Business Building is dedicated on May 8.
The university initiates its Undergraduate Research Program, making it the second oldest program in the nation, behind MIT.
The College of Business becomes the Jon M. Huntsman School of Business after receiving a generous donation from the Huntsman Foundation.
A groundbreaking ceremony signals the beginning of construction for Huntsman Hall, a 125,000 square foot student-centered facility that will provide 21 new classrooms and 21 new meeting rooms. Huntsman Hall will adjoin the existing Eccles Business Building, creating one business complex.
$50 Million joint gift between the Huntsman Foundation and the Charles Koch Foundation announced at USU Commencement on May 6.