Huntsman School Academic Scholarship
The application deadline for scholarships awarded for 2019-20 has passed. Below are details for awarding dates, how scholarships are awarded and who to contact if you have questions regarding your application.
Huntsman Scholarship Donors
In 2018-19 the Huntsman School awarded $2.6 Million in scholarships. These funds are donated by alumni and friends of the Huntsman School, with many scholarships carrying specific criteria for awards. The following page is a sample of the criteria for some of the scholarships that are awarded each year.
Please read these instructions before filling out the scholarship application. Doing so will increase your knowledge of the scholarship process and perhaps increase your chances of receiving a scholarship.
The Huntsman School of Business offers several scholarships, each of which may have different criteria. Scholarships are merit-based (GPA). This application is for consideration of all scholarships offered by the school. Some Huntsman School clubs and organizations offer scholarships to their presidency members. If you are interested in a club scholarship, please talk to your club advisor.
To be eligible for consideration of Needs-Based scholarships, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and submit it to the federal processor by Jan 25, 2019. In addition, by indicating on the application, you agree to allow the Huntsman School of Business access to your FAFSA information for purposes of eligibility determination for any Needs-Based scholarships.
These scholarships are for current USU undergraduate students attending FULL-TIME (12 credits or more). Additional scholarships for graduate students are available through your department.
Scholarships are allocated for the Fall and Spring semester of the academic year. If recipients are unable to attend for any part of the year the award may be reduced by an appropriate amount.
Scholarships are awarded for the specific academic year, thus deferrals to a future academic year are not allowed.
Only students with primary majors in the Huntsman School of Business will be considered for scholarships awarded by the Huntsman School.
HOW TO COMPLETE THE APPLICATION
Please answer all questions to the best of your ability. Not all questions are required; however, the more you answer the better your chances are of receiving a Huntsman School scholarship. Please check the major listed on your grade transcript and make sure it is correct. If it is not, please contact the Records Office. You will not be awarded a scholarship by the Huntsman School of Business unless you are officially admitted to the school.
The application will allow you to save your application and return later to load, complete, and submit your application. Please make sure to read the instructions on the application introduction about saving/loading applications.
Below is a list of the materials that you will need to have on hand at some point as you complete your application.
- Honors, awards, and formal recognitions received
- USU Leadership activities
- University and civic clubs/organizations/sports teams’ membership
- Service organizations or personal service given
- Special interests and hobbies
- Other items you wish the scholarship committee to consider
- Describe a time you were faced with an ethical dilemma and explain how you handled the situation (in no more than 500 words).
- ESSAY - (in no more than 750 words, formatting is not a factor) Include an essay on the topic of what you want to do with your degree. What are your aspirations and plans? How will you use your business course work? What are you doing now, in addition to taking classes that will help you in attaining your goals? What inspired you to choose business as a major? What has influenced you while you have been attending Utah State?
DATES TO REMEMBER
- January 25, 2019 - Scholarship applications due for the Huntsman School of Business. Applications must be submitted online no later than 5 p.m. on this date.
- April 12, 2019 - Receive by email an award or decline letter from the Huntsman School of Business.
- April 26, 2019 - Return signed acceptance letter via email to the Programs and Advising Center. Remember, a copy of the donor thank you letter, a biography and high-quality professional photo must be included with your acceptance. You will receive step-by-step instructions on how to submit all required paperwork via email. Make sure you keep a copy of the award letter for your own records.
WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR APPLICATION
Your application is considered for a cash award by the Huntsman School of Business Scholarship Committee.
In order to recognize our best students, we use an index score based on several factors related to academic success. For academic year 2018-19, we awarded scholarships to the top 25 percent of applicants based on their index scores. We awarded scholarships outside of the top 25 percent in cases where donor gift agreements stipulated specific requirements. We also factor in scholarships from outside of the Huntsman School in considering our scholarship awards.
We based the 2018-19 award criteria on the following:
- An index formula that awards a score with weighted components based upon 1) overall GPA and credit hours and 2) Huntsman GPA and credit hours, with the Huntsman component making up approximately 2/3 of the weighting. All students that maintained a Huntsman GPA of at least 3.7 and an index score of 95 or higher were awarded a scholarship.
- Students that met the above expectations but were graduating within one semester were awarded a scholarship according to their enrollment.
- We also awarded scholarships outside of the above population in cases where donor gift agreements stipulated specific requirements.
- We factored in other USU scholarships in determining our allocations.
Please note that there is no perfect formula. The formula for academic year 2019-2020 may vary from last year’s formula as we continue to refine the process to define academic success.
After the awarding has been completed, award and denied letters will be emailed to you.
We wish you the best of luck in your scholarship quest. If you have any questions not answered above, please contact the Huntsman School of Business Dean’s Office, HH 481, 797-5524 or firstname.lastname@example.org.