Sample Interview Questions
Though every interview will be different, it is wise to have answers ready for a variety of possible questions. We have provided some generic, yet plausible, questions you could be asked. These are Behavior Interview questions, in which a STAR response would need to be prepared and practiced.
Information Technology Application
- What are your technical strengths and how did you obtain them?
- Give me an example of when you solved a technical problem.
- When have you successfully demonstrated your technical knowledge? Contrast this with a time when you weren’t able to do so. What did you do differently?
- Where have you gained IT Applications experience and what do you find interesting?
- Tell me about some projects you have completed and the technologies that you used.
- Tell me about a time when you had competing priorities? How did you solve it? What did you learn from it?
- Give me an example where you consistently exceeded internal or external expectations. How did you do this? What approach did you take?
- Describe an instance when your ethics were challenged.
- Tell me about a time when you had to go back on a promise or commitment you made. What was the situation? What did you do?
- Name a time when you put in extra effort. What were the results? What does hard work mean to you?
- Tell me about a time when you were part of a team and had to find a solution to a problem.
- How did you deal with different stakeholders on a project asking for two different requirements which are contrasted and you can only do one?
- Describe a bad team environment that you have experienced.
- Tell me about a time when you faced significant challenges working with people from diverse backgrounds. What did you do? What was the result?
- Talk about a time when you challenged someone in authority.
Critical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Tell me about a time when you implemented a procedure that you had to pull back from because it didn’t work as planned.
- Give an example of when you did something which you had not done before and how you handled it.
- Tell me about a problem you were responsible for solving that required a unique solution. How did you know established methods wouldn’t work?
- What kind of information have you been required to analyze? Describe one of your most difficult analyses.
- How do you balance Risk Management and Customer Service?
- Talk about a time when you were a leader?
- Tell me about a time when you could not motivate others to actively support a new vision. Why were your efforts unsuccessful?
- Not everyone agrees with our decisions. Tell me about an unpopular decision you made and how you gained acceptance from others.
- Tell me about a situation where you had to manage a team during a difficult situation and what was the outcome.
- Share a time when you had to take a leadership role. How did you delegate tasks? Where the team goals met? What would you have done differently?
- Tell me about a time that you were in a confrontational situation and how you handled it.
- Give me an example of something that you have written that you are most proud of.
- It’s often easy to blur the distinction between information meant to be kept in confidence and information meant to be shared. Can you give me an example of when you were faced with dilemma and how you handled it?
- Gaining commitment to a new vision can be very challenging. Tell me about a time when you could not motivate other to actively support a new vision. Why were your efforts unsuccessful?
- Explain a time when there was a breakdown of communications with one or more persons. How did you handle the situation? How did you mitigate the problem?
- Describe a time when you worked with someone from a background you were unfamiliar with.
- There are many ways to show respect to others. What works best for you? Give me a specific example.
- What would you do if you received a standoffish response from another employee in working with someone from a diverse background?
- Tell me about a situation where you experienced difficulty conveying an idea to someone.
- Describe a customer who was difficult to deal with because of cultural differences. Explain how you managed the situation.
- How do your personal goals and values fit in with our company?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- What are you expecting to learn from our company?
- If I have another candidate of the same qualifications, what would be my preference for selecting you?
- Describe a situation when your work wasn’t up to expectations. What happened? What action did you take?