Shingo Institute Student Chapter
Who We Are
We are a group of students who are passionate about principles of operational excellence, continuous improvement, and lean operations. We strive to learn these principles and understand how they apply to any situation, industry or field. Formerly known as Lean Leaders or Leaders for Continuous Improvement, we are now partnered with the world renowned Shingo Institute right here at Utah State University to bring our members even more valuable tools, skills, and opportunities.
Through the Shingo Institute we have access to a large network of professionals who are experts in these areas, from whom we can learn the principles that lead to excellence in either manufacturing or service-based operations.
Our mission is to be the best professional development club on campus; we believe that is something this club achieves on a regular basis. Our leadership team strives to plan meaningful value-add events and opportunities for our members.
Our activities typically include, but are certainly not limited to the following:
- Process improvement consulting with local companies
- Networking events
- Guest speakers who share best practices and valuable insights
- Student hosting for key speakers at the annual Operational Excellence Conference
- Volunteer opportunities with, and attendance at, the annual International Shingo Conference
- Tours of world class facilities whose companies lead the way in lean manufacturing
- Resume and interviewing workshops designed to help you stand out from the crowd
- Trainings/Lessons on The Guiding Principles of The Shingo Model.
- Lean Six Sigma education and Green Belt certification
Wouldn't you like to land a great job upon graduation? If you want some real world experience with extremely valuable tools (not to mention a great reason for your resume to stand out against competition), get involved with an organization that believes in and practices continuous improvement. To get even more out of your experience, get involved with the leadership team and network like you've never networked before. Our officer team is comprised of officers who are self-motivated hardworking students just like you.
Why else should you join?
- Create a network with professionals and mentors at the top of their fields (World-renowned Shingo Institute at Utah State University)
- Gain valuable knowledge and real world application to supplement your classroom education (professional Shingo workshops, how to begin process improvement, 5S, Kaizen, Shingo Model, etc.)
- Become a professional in the way you act and think (become who they want to hire)
- We are currently looking for candidates to fill leadership positions next year (get leadership experience)
If you want to become a member, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org before you fill out the registration form and pay the fees. Due to the nature of some of our certifications, it is not always possible to start after we have begun the certification. Sending us an email will allow us to communicate with you any potential conflicts and let you know the best time for you to begin attending meetings. It is currently $25 per semester to participate in the club ($50 for the whole year). All majors welcome!