Partners in Business Conference to also Feature Gail Miller, Owner of Larry H. Miller Companies
By Nadiah Johari
Frank Belatti, a former CEO who helped turn around Popeyes Chicken and Church’s Chicken, will deliver a keynote speech at an upcoming Partners In Business conference at Utah State University.
Mr. Belatti is scheduled to speak at the Partners in Business Leadership Conference that will be held at the Eccles Conference Center on USU’s Logan campus on April 2-3. The conference starts at 8:30 a.m. April 2. Mr. Belatti is the founder and former CEO of AFC Enterprises, one of the nation’s premier franchisers of quick-service restaurants. The company has developed, operated, and franchised several restaurants including Church’s Chicken, Cinnabon, Popeyes Chicken and Biscuits, and Seattle’s Best Coffee.
Today, he is the managing partner of Equicorp Partners, an Atlanta-based financial services firm that he co-founded in 2005. He and his colleagues provide expertise to private equity firms and strategic partners, and oversee a portfolio of diverse investments.
“He has proven to be an outstanding businessman, but also has been the example of what it means to give back,” said Jamie Andrus, director of Partners In Business. “He has been recognized by the business world, academia, and government institutions.”
Gail Miller, owner of the Larry H. Miller Group of Companies, will also be a keynote speaker. She and her husband, Larry Miller, launched their own business with the purchase of Toyota of Murray, renaming it Larry H. Miller Toyota, in 1979. They grew the business into one of the largest privately-owned companies in the nation. Since Larry’s passing in 2009, Mrs. Miller continues to be involved in all areas of the company. The Larry H. Miller Group of Companies owns more than 75 businesses in 30 states, including the Utah Jazz. In 2009, she was named The Salt Lake Tribune’s “Most Influential Sports Figure in Utah.”
Other keynote speakers are:
- Benson L. Porter, managing director of human resources for the Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Marvin Roberts, treasurer of the board of directors at the National Basketball Retired Players Association
- Weston Smith, former CFO of HealthSouth
- Steve Shallenberger, founder and chairman of “Becoming Your Best”
- Scott Vest, chief operating officer of Nexeo
Breakout speakers include the following:
- Peter Foss, former vice president of FranklinCovey and partner at the Strategic Leadership Partners, LLC
- Merideth Thompson, assistant professor of management at the Jon M. Huntsman School of Business
- Sterling Bone, assistant professor of marketing at the Jon M. Huntsman School of Business
- Jim Woodard, sales manager of CCI Mechanical Inc.
There will be a panel session consisting of top management professionals who will talk about their perspectives and insights on leadership. Here is a list of those speakers:
- Kelvin L. Anderson, president and CEO at Optum Bank
- Frank Belatti, founder and former chairman and CEO, AFC Enterprises
- Rob Campbell, president and CEO of Juniper Systems, Inc.
- Blake Kirby, CEO, Inovar
- Gail Miller, owner Larry H. Miller Group of Companies
Frank Belatti helped turn around Popeyes Chicken.
Gail Miller is owner of the Larry H. Miller Group of Companies.