In order to enhance the probability of student success in the MMIS program in the Huntsman School of Business at USU, all candidates must demonstrate proficiency in the required prerequisite courses. These prerequisite courses are to be completed prior to beginning your coursework in the MMIS program, but do not need to be completed prior to submitting your application.
|Program Requirements||USU Course||Online Equivalent|
|Financial Accounting||ACCT 2010|
|Corporate Finance||FIN 3400 or FIN 3200||
Finance – MyEducator Course
|Statistics||STAT 2300 or equivalent||
Statistics – Udacity Online
See dropdown box below
HOW DO I DEMONSTRATE PROFICIENCY IN AN AREA?
You can demonstrate proficiency in one of three ways.
Complete a course with an accredited program and institution in your previous degree. In order to be valid, you must have received a C- (on a 4.0 scale) or better in the course.
- Complete a USU Huntsman School prerequisite course with MyEducator. Each course includes material, exercises, and assessments. If you feel that you are already proficient in the subject, you are welcome to start with the assessment. You will have three opportunities to take the final assessment, but you will need to obtain a minimum score of 80% in order to be considered proficient. For further information, or to sign up, please contact your respective office for details. These prerequisite courses are a cost-effective and convenient way to demonstrate proficiency.
Complete an approved equivalent course now (either with USU or another accredited institution).
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST ME?
- USU Online courses cost the current USU tuition and fees rate per course. (https://www.usu.edu/registrar/htm/registration).
- MyEducator courses cost $69.99 per course.
SIGN ME UP FOR A PREREQUISITE COURSE.
- Send in an official transcript with your application to verify that you haven’t already completed the prerequisite.
- Click on the above link for each MyEducator course. Then, you will pay for each course/assessment individually.
- If you prefer to put something on your official USU transcript, please register through USU.
WHAT ARE THE PROGRAMMING PREREQUISITE OPTIONS?
Below are listed courses and websites that offer a course in an object-oriented programming language. Programming is no longer a required prerequisite course; however, we highly encourage students to develop a basic understanding of a programming language prior to their first semester. Below are links to several different online programming courses offered for various programming languages. Many courses are free of charge and allow you to work at your own pace.
- University of Toronto - Learn to Program (no fee charged) https://www.coursera.org/course/programming1
- Udacity Programming – Intro to Computer Science (no fee charged) https://www.udacity.com/course/intro-to-computer-science--cs101
- https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/c-fundamentals-for-absolute-beginners-16169?l=Lvld4EQIC_2706218949 (Microsoft-sponsored, highly rated, video-based training)
- http://www.tutorialspoint.com/csharp/csharp_program_structure.htm (Third-party, example-based training)
HOW DO I KNOW THAT I’VE PASSED?
- All prerequisite courses must be completed within a six-month period and the MMIS program advisor must be notified prior to starting the respective course.
- MyEducator courses contain a post test that must be completed with an 80% or better. Once you have completed the post test, please email a screenshot of your score to firstname.lastname@example.org. The MMIS Office will be able to verify your score through MyEducator to ensure that an acceptable score has been obtained.
- Other approved prerequisite courses require a certificate of completion.
WHO SHOULD I CALL IF I AM HAVING TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES?
- All transcript issues should be directed to the School of Graduate Studies.
- For all MyEducator issues, please contact email@example.com.
- For all USU courses, please contact the Help Desk (435.797.4357).