In order to enhance the probability of student success in the MMIS program in the Huntsman School of Business at USU, all candidates must demonstrate proficiency in the required prerequisite courses. These prerequisite courses are to be completed prior to beginning your coursework in the MMIS program, but do not need to be completed prior to submitting your application.
|Program Requirements||USU Course||Online Equivalent|
|Financial Accounting||ACCT 2010||
Accounting – MyEducator Course
ACC 200 – BYU Online
CourseEra – Intro to Financial Accounting
|Corporate Finance||FIN 3400||
Finance – MyEducator Course
BUS M 201 – BYU Online
|Statistics||STAT 2300 or equivalent||
STAT 121 – BYU Online
Statistics – Udacity Online
|Programming||MIS 3500||See dropdown box below|
You can demonstrate proficiency in one of three ways.
Complete a course with an accredited program and institution in your previous degree. In order to be valid, you must have received a C- (on a 4.0 scale) or better in the course.
Complete a USU Huntsman School Prerequisite Course with MyEducator
Each course includes material, exercises, and assessments. If you feel that you are already proficient in the subject, you are welcome to start with the assessment. You will have three opportunities to take the final assessment, but you will need to obtain a minimum score of 80% in order to be considered proficient.
For further information, or to sign up, please contact your respective office for details.
These prerequisite courses are a cost-effective and convenient way to demonstrate proficiency.
Complete an approved equivalent course now (either with USU or another accredited institution).
- USU Online courses cost the current USU tuition and fees rate per course (http://www.usu.edu/registrar/htm/registration).
- MyEducator courses cost $69.99 per course.
- BYU Online courses cost ~$534 per course (not including textbook).
- Send in an official transcript with your application to verify that you haven’t already completed the prerequisite.
- Please contact the MMIS Office for a link to each MyEducator course. Then, you will pay for each course/assessment individually.
- If you prefer to put something on your official USU transcript, please register through USU.
Below are listed courses and websites that offer a course in an object-oriented programming language. Only one course must be completed if no other equivalent course has previously been taken.
- MIS 3500 – Intro to Business Applications Programming (On-campus and broadcast options available; USU tuition and fees apply)
- University of Toronto - Learn to Program (No Fee Charged) https://www.coursera.org/course/programming1
- Udacity Programming – Intro to Computer Science (No Fee Charged) https://www.udacity.com/course/intro-to-computer-science--cs101
- https://mva.microsoft.com/en-us/training-courses/c-fundamentals-for-absolute-beginners-8295?l=bifAqFYy_204984382 (Microsoft-sponsored, highly rated, video-based training)
- http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa288436(v=vs.71).aspx (Microsoft-sponsored, tutorial-based training)
- http://www.tutorialspoint.com/csharp/csharp_program_structure.htm (Third-party, example-based training)
- http://www.amu.apus.edu/academic/resources/course-schedule/course/course-details.entd200.htmlSystem ($24/unit): ENTD200 – Fundamentals of Programming)
- All prerequisite courses must be completed within a six-month period, and the MMIS program advisor must be notified prior to starting the respective course.
- MyEducator courses contain a post test, which must be completed with an 80% or better. Once you have completed the post test, please email a screenshot of your score to email@example.com. The MMIS Office will be able to verify your score through MyEducator to ensure that an acceptable score has been obtained.
- BYU online courses require a BYU official transcript upon completion. You can mail an official copy of your transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Other approved prerequisite courses require a certificate of completion.
- All transcript issues should be directed to the School of Graduate Studies.
- For all MyEducator issues, please contact email@example.com.
- For all USU courses, please contact the Help Desk (435.797.4357)
- If you've already completed a course with a C- or better, then your transcript will be taken into account. No need for a waiver.
- If you complete a MyEducator assessment with 80% or better, then you will not need a waiver.
- If you complete an equivalent course with USU or with another accredited institution, then you will not need a waiver.