Let's use video to reinvent education
In his TED Talk "Let's use video to reinvent education" Sal Khan, the founder of The Khan Academy, highlights some of the benefits of using video instruction in the classroom, which include:
- Allowing students to learn at their own pace.
- "Flipping" the classroom (having lectures as homework and working on problems/questions in class)
- Allowing for mastery of skills.
- Student's prefer to learn at their own pace
- The use of video encourages mastery and fills in gaps in learning
- The use of video frees up time for application and problem-based learning
Ideas for application
- Use video to catch students up on prerequisites
- Use video lectures as homework
Link to full video
(Most useful section - 0:00-9:45)