$100 Startup Challenge
The $100 Startup Competition is an opportunity for students to experience entrepreneurship through a three week competition to build, grow, and validate a business opportunity starting with one hundred dollars.
Students apply through a simple survey answering questions about their team and business idea. 20 Teams will then be selected to participate. These teams will be given $100 VISA gift cards and 3 weeks to build a business that generates revenue. Teams are evaluated on team unity, networks/resources used, impact/customers reached, and sales.
The Clark Center hosts this competition to give a hands on approach to experience entrepreneurship and gain valuable insight. It is our hope students will stretch their current abilities, resources, knowledge, and connections to build a business model. We will then invest significantly in helping these students take their business model to the next level. What will you build with $100?
1st Place: $1,500
2nd Place: $1,000
3rd Place: $500
March 4, 2017: $100 Startup Submission Deadline
March 11, 2017: Top 20 teams Announced
March 14, 2017: $100 Startup Crash Course/Kickoff
March 18, 2017: Competition Checkpoint 1
March 25, 2017: Competition Checkpoint 2
April 1, 2017: Competition Checkpoint 3
April 3, 2017: "Hit the Strip" - Entrepreneurship Week Event
April 4, 2017: Announcement of Top 10
April 6, 2017: Top 10 present, Awards Banquet
- Teams of 1-4 people
- All have to be current USU students enrolled in 9 or more credits.
- No two teams can combine money.
- The $100 cannot be spent towards a pre-existing business.
- The competition is for NEW businesses. Businesses CANNOT have generated any previous revenue or been in the top 10 of the Opportunity Quest competition.
- Money may be spent as the entrepreneurs deem necessary to grow and establish their business opportunity.
- Money must be used toward the competition only – violators will be disqualified.
- If disqualified, the full $100 must be returned.
- Teams must track and turn in ALL receipts.
- Teams can spend personal money, but the $100 VISA gift card must be spent first.
- Teams must be present at the Utah State Entrepreneurship Week event on Monday April 3, 2017 from 10am – 2pm.
- At least one team member, must attend orientation on March 14, 2017 at 6pm.
- Students' teams must complete weekly checkpoint check-ins each Saturday by 11:59pm local time.
- If you plan on selling food, at least one team member must have a food handler's permit and they must be present during the day on the Utah State Entrepreneurship Week event.