Professional Business Dress
This is the most conservative type of business wear. This dress code is required for interviews, Meet the Firms Night, formal classroom presentations, or in a conservative business office. For women, this means a business suit or pants suit, or dress and jacket. For men, professional dress means a business suit.
Specifics for women:
· Hats – not normally worn, except for regional variations in climate and season.
· Neck – blouse scarf if desired
· Coat – dark coat, the smarter the better
· Tops – blouse, clean and well pressed. White is the universally preferred color.
· Jackets – should coordinate with pants or skirt.
· Bottom – suit skirt: should match the jacket and must be at least knee length. Smart skirts – preferably dark, gray, or beige in color, and be at least knee length.
· Pants – black, gray, navy, brown, or khakis are suitable colors – tailored, with creases.
· Footwear – dress pumps, closed toe, low heel. Hose, no patterns. (May be omitted in hot climates).
· Accessories – a small amount of jewelry may normally be worn but should not be distracting.
· Makeup, Perfume, Cologne – remember that some people are allergic to the chemicals in perfumes and makeup, so wear these substances with restraint.
Specifics for men:
· Hat – not normally worn, except for regional variations in climate and season.
· Neck – tie required. Bow ties are acceptable but are very unusual and should be avoided as should bolo ties. The top button of the shirt must be done up. Tie pins are generally out of fashion. Avoid novelty items (i.e., Disney ties, pocket swatches).
· Coat – overcoat if weather requires.
· Suit jacket – plain dark suits are the safest option, but any good quality suit is suitable. A blazer is not normally acceptable.
· Top – a collared dress shirt. Must be clean and well pressed. No frayed collars. White is the universally preferred color.
· Bottom – suit pants must match the jacket.
· Ankles – dress socks, ideally the same color as your suit, or at least as dark as your suit. Mid-calf length. No patterns, logos, or pictures.
· Footwear – dress shoes: leather, preferably black, or at least as dark as your socks.