We encourage all of our students to complete an internship, and our Accounting and Management Information Systems departments require the completion of an internship for graduation.
You may post internship opportunities on Career Aggie, the same database where you post job opportunities.
The National Association of Colleges and Employers provides the following internship definition and criteria:
- The experience must be an extension of the classroom: a learning experience that provides for applying the knowledge gained in the classroom. It must not be simply to advance the operations of the employer or be the work that a regular employee would routinely perform.
- The skills or knowledge learned must be transferable to other employment settings.
- The experience has a defined beginning and end, and a job description with desired qualifications.
- There are clearly defined learning objectives/goals related to the professional goals of the student’s academic coursework.
- There is supervision by a professional with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of the experience.
- There is routine feedback by the experienced supervisor.
- There are resources, equipment, and facilities provided by the host employer that support learning objectives/goals.
Decisions regarding academic credit for an internship are the responsibility of the student and the Huntsman School. The student will determine this decision in collaboration with his or her academic advisor. The student is responsible for initiating the application for academic credit.